Plants are starting to pop up in the garden. The potatoes, radishes and onions are taking off as we keep planting the rest of the garden. We got trellises up for beans and cucumbers and planted our flower mix as well.
We also nee a couple more broiler pens for our pastured meat birds. I got started on those this week. The pens have a treated 2x4 base and a roof of cattle panel. Chicken wire goes around the outside to keep predators out and chickens in. A tarp over the top keeps the birds dry and in the shade.
Lastly, the feed system is now up and running. We got the last bin for minerals and meal finished. We used an old concrete mixer to keep the material loose and moving while an auger moves it out to the mixing auger. More on that soon.
This week we got our chicken crates which we'll use for transporting meat birds out to their pasture pens and when their ready we'll use the crates to take them to slaughter. Also, this week I found out I needed to replace my front truck pads. I jacked up the front of the truck, pulled off the tires and put new pads on. I caught the problem just in time. The old pads were almost down to the metal. Lastly, we've made some progress on our feed mixing grinding setup. The auger that connects all the bins is finished, but we still have one bin left to complete. The meal and mineral bin. This one contains a mix of camelina meal, fish meal and a mineral mix. Hopefully, that will be finished next week. Thanks for watching!
This week the laying hens started following our beef herd in their mobile coop. The hens clean up after the cows. They eat up the bugs and scratch out the cow patties going after fly larvae. I also invented a new way of moving broiler pens between fields. With the new system I use an over sized dolly that I chain in place so that it doesn't get knocked out from under the pen and the tractor pulls the front like a trailer. It makes them easier to move and it only takes one guy instead of two to move them. Lastly, the hoop house brooder got a shade cloth cover to keep the meat chicks cool and out of the sun.
This week the mobile chicken coop that broke got fixed. I put a new frame on the trailer with new roosts. Our first batch of Cornish Cross meat birds went out on pasture in their movable floor-less shelters. The shelters keep them protected from rain, wind and predators. Also, this week our first batch of pastured rabbit went into their movable shelters. The pigs are still in the hoop house, but I connected the two houses so that they have more room. And more importantly so; that they dig up the bedding in the rabbit hoop house. Thanks for watching!
WELCOME TO BOTANY BAY NEWS!
You have reached the official site for Botany Bay Farm news and updates. Be sure and subscribe to our RSS feed. And don't forget to join our email list (at the bottom of the page) to receive regular updates about our products straight to your email inbox.